Thursday, December 1, 2011

Additional Assignment #1

man in a jogging outfit running next to a cheetah




1. Why did you miss the metaphor in Tom Johnson's post, or, if you "hit the nail on the head", why do you think you understood the metaphor and why do you think that others in the class missed the metaphor?
2. What metaphors have you encountered since I asked you to create a log of them?
3. What other things can we do as educators to help our students to understand and to use metaphors?
4. Why do we use metaphors?


 I "hit the nail on the head" in understanding the metaphor John Spencer presented in his blog post. (Although I was late in posting my response to his blog.) I was able to get this due to two reasons. The first is I clicked on the link under the title of his blog. It was Larry Ferlazzo's Latest Post which is based on a survey in which Ferlazzo had viewed and commented on. It basically explains Ferlazzo's view on usage of computer's affecting students test scores.  The second is that it just could not be about pencils and paper in with how much education has changed. The last thing one would be concerned about would be pencils and paper affecting test scores. No pencils? One might as well close schools down. 


Metaphors that I have encountered include all of the following:
  • I'm dying I'm so hungry. 
  • They are knocked out. 
  • Faster than a cheetah. 
  • Every blue moon.
  • When people in hell ask for ice water. 
  • I'm freezing.
  • Sick as a dog.
  • I'm hanging at the end of my rope. 
  • I have a brain freeze.
  • I would die if I met Chris Brown.
After explaining what a metaphor is to students, as educators we can give an extra bonus point assignment which consist of the students listing metaphors the teacher said all day. Make learning about metaphors. 

We use metaphors to describe what we are trying to say. When describing something using  a metaphor it gives what we are talking about more emphasis. It also allows us to think about what is said afterwards. 

a blue moon in the sky

No comments:

Post a Comment