Monday, November 28, 2011

C4K Summary Post #2

big yellow round smiley face


Commenting for Kids is very fun! It is inspiring and allows me to see what kids in this generation of capable of doing with technology versus where I was, technology wise, at their age. It makes me realize how important it is to stay on top of what is going on around me so that I can relate to students today and teach them in the best way in which they learn. For the second Comments for Kids Summary I commented on five students blog posts, all of which were very interesting.

The first students blog I commented on was Kali. She is a 7th grade student in Canada. Kali's blog was about some cool places she would like to go. She listed New York's Empire State Building, the Capitol Reef National Park in Utah, the Olympic Stadium in British Columbia, the West Edmonton Mall in Alberta, and the Figge Art Museum in Iowa. She has some very distinguished places in which she would like to visit. I think it is awesome she is thinking big and wants to see different parts of the world. I told her about my visit to New York where I was able to look up at the Empire State building. She was very descriptive in describing these attractions and she reminded me of a young travel agent.

Next was Lanzie from Auckland, New Zealand. He is a first grade student that was required to write a story and draw a picture. He chose to make his story about the New Zealand flag. In order for others to hear part of his story and learn about it he recorded it on iMovie. While a little hesistant he described his flag and for a first grader he did really well. It has four stars and is rectangular. I commented on his video by encouraging him on a job well done. I also described the U.S. flag. I think it is neat children in schools get that opportunity now to learn using technology.

The next students blog I had the pleasure of viewing was Jordan. Jordan is a 2nd grade student in Auckland, New Zealand also. His blog post contained an animation of a rugby player named Teddy  going across the screen. This was one of my favorites because it contained a drawing of his and it allows me to see how well he is able to manipulate technology. He did a good job. It's amazing he is in 2nd grade creating animations while I recently learned what blogging was and how to blog (lol).

Another students blog that I commented on is Rosa. She is a 8th grade student. Her blog is informing and engaging. I found myself going and researching the topic she was blogging about. Her blog was about a science lesson she would teach. It would require students to learn vocabulary and involve them doing an activity that would better help them understand. The vocabulary she would have her students learn is Cenozoic, Mesozoic, and Paleozoic Eras. She then would have them to match pictures to each era. I believe this is a great idea because it would reinforce the definitions and help them understand a bit more. I encouraged her to keep using technology to learn and to help others learn.

The last comment I left was on a blog presentation using Google docs by a student named Shoal. Shoal used Google Presentation to inform others of Bitterns. Bitterns are an extinct group of birds that existed before in New Zealand. Shoal's reading group had been reading about Bittern's so the choice to do the presentation is a reinforcement for him. It definitely is informing and interesting. I actually think using the presentation is a great way to engage others because it grasps their attention.

I enjoy learning from all of these children. Commenting on their blogs is not only encouraging for them but it is informing. One can still learn things from them and even see new ways of introducing information to others. I want to learn how to make animations and allow my future students to engage in activities like this and to even use Google presentation. Also allowing children to utilize these technologies they will have fun while learning which is easier for everyone involved.  I hope to learn more and encourage more children in the days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment