Sunday, October 16, 2011

C4T #2

black board in classroom with math problems on it

The teacher's blog that I commented on is Shawn Cornally. He teaches physics, calculus, programming, geology, and bioethics. "This is what gets me out of bed with fire in my belly", is the first blog I commented on. It began with that question and a conversation between Cornally and the "average student". Cornally engages in the conversation basically interested in whether or not the student studied over the summer. The student tells him that he/she played "Call of Duty". Cornally askes for the students GPA and it is a 3.5. This bothers Cornally and should bother any educator. I responded letting him know that teacher should try to motivate their students, however it is a two-way street.Teachers can do all they can but students have to want  to learn as well. I suggested that teachers finding ways to get their students attention would help. Just as Dr. Strange says it is "Burp Back" education that is being taught. Students maintain high GPA's with actually no learned information. Where is what the teacher taught them and had them read? On the scan-tron in a file, not in the students head. Hands on learning to me is the key to solving this problem. (Dr. Strange).

The next blog Cornally posted on which I commented on is called Copy A "Process". It is about one of his  students that wanted him to show her exactly how to do physics problems just like a math class. He explained to her that there is "infinite number of physical systems". He wants her to be able to use the general ideas and apply them. (Cornally). I can relate so much to the student because I struggle now with trying to figure out how to do problems in my classes generally and not step by step like I learned. Teachers sort of spoiled me and have shown me each way to "complete" a problem. Then the homework and test would be the same with different numbers. Now in college I have just the opposite so I have to unlearn the "Copy A" method.
I enjoy learning from Cornally. He is truly a good passionate teacher that I hope to be like. Reading his blog helps me determine how I will try to help my students learn.

(Sources: Think Thank Thunk and EDM 310 instructor Dr. Strange)
 smiley face with sun glasses on

No comments:

Post a Comment