Saturday, October 8, 2011

Blog Post #6

The Networked Student by Wendy Drexler

First I will begin by saying that the way the networked student is taught is very similar to the way we are taught in EDM 310. His instructor teaches him through Connectivism. He describes it as a theory where learning is part of a social network. It is diverse and uses connections and ties through various tools of technology. Students are able to take control of their learning.
I like how the student builds his PLN first. By doing this he will have access to information related to topics discussed in class. Through accredited sites he is able to learn what he needs to know to understand his lesson. This is how I feel all of my college courses need to begin. The first day the teacher should just tell us how to do this allowing us to better help ourselves.
Once I am teaching I will help my students create a PLN. I will make it fun and allow them a chance to teach themselves. Just as I am learning through use of technology in my EDM 310 course I plan to teach the same way. The traditional learning method works partially but Connectivism and how students in EDM 310 are learning is a way to boost creativity and lifelong learning. Once a student takes a class where they choose how they will learn it prepares them for life outside of the school.When they can find their own useful information due to help from the teachers they will be able to access things that can help them build their futures and careers. Offering a class like this in a middle school or high school will have them ahead. It will also create less use of paper and expanding their knowledge diversity. Hate this was not the way I learned but it is not to late and I will make sure my students are prepared in all aspects.



Wendy Drexler's Blog

it is the pln network with the verizon lead
In Wendy's Networked Student Challenges she addresses issues she knows will be problematic for networked learning. Networked learning involves tools of technology that allow students to learn socially in there own way. I believe this type of learning will be very helpful and boost our students knowledge, although it is a pretty new approach which means, challenges. One of the challenges she covered are permission and age limits for using many web applications. With this issue web use will be limited and would mean this approach would begin with the 8th and 9th graders. Another issue that will emerge is designing assessment options  that promote deep synthesis of context. So much information will be offered and teachers must make sure the students are exposed and that enough difficulty is provided so that they will be able to think critically about the information they perceive. Many challenges will come with the networked learning but the reward of technology creating lifelong learning is worth it in the end. As a future teacher I must learn all I can about technologies I can incorporate in my lessons so that I can provide the best education possible for my students. I will be able to teach my students how to learn to use different types of technology while also learning about core information that is covered in our curriculum. I really have to keep practicing  myself so that I am a professional because this is how I want to teach my students!


A 7th Graders Personal Learning Environment
The 7th graders PLE was great. I like how she put it together herself to fit how she learned best. It made me realize how helpful it can be in helping one go straight to needed topics. I will use my PLN to my advantage and add sites beneficial to me and my education.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog looks great Dominique. I agree with you completely about PLN's. I want to teach my students to use them and help them to be as creative as they can be. We do need to prepare them for the real world, and life after school, I also think this is a great way to do so.

    ReplyDelete