Monday, September 26, 2011

Blog Post #4

students talking at table

Eagle Nest Radio and Class Blog

This is a podcast I listened to done by a third grade class about Rome. These students did a great job providing information. They spoke clearly and precisely for third graders. Had I not known that they are third graders I would have thought they were a little older. I like how the music relates to what they are talking about. It is very professional in my opinion. I learned new information although some of it was a repeat. Gladiators were talked about and I did not know that some were slaves trained to fight with no choice. I use to think this was a decision made be the individual to become a gladiator. Another interesting thing I learned is that Cleopatra was Greek and not an Egyptian. I enjoyed this podcast and how it is like a radio show. I have never done anything like that so I look forward to learning how. I will incorporate this in my classroom so my students will know how to do it as well.
roman amphitheater


Podcasting is a creative and fun way to grab and keep students attention in the classroom. It allows for interaction among the students outside the traditional classroom. After watching this podcast made I learned that students today are called millenials. Millenials are students born after 1980 that have never experienced life without computers. Podcasting is an audio recording or video that can be listed to or watched anytime. 

Recorded lectures from the teacher can be played back when ever the student needs to review. It allows sick students to remain caught up even when they are not inside of the classroom. Students in the classroom would be more alert and attentive listening to stories on podcasts because the lecture would be more interesting. It is also exciting. Not only do students listen to the podcasts but parents can as well to keep up with what is going on inside of the classroom. Podcasting will demonstrate higher order thinking skills and allows project based learning for the students.
colored ipods


I enjoyed listening to this podcast. It was very professional and sounds just like a show aired on the radio. It is interesting to hear the topics discussed in their podcast. One topic they talked about was improvement plans for teachers and when they are needed. Hopefully I will never need one (lol). Their podcast definitely makes me want to invest in a good microphone one day so that I may have clear sounding podcasts available for my students. I am excited to learn how to podcast. I can not wait to add music in the background and sounds to make it interesting. I like the thought of acting out a story on a podcast with different voices for the characters. It beats the old fashion "pop in a cassette  tape and play it" way. 

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I also listened to the Eagle Nest Radio and thought they did a great job. It is great to see a third grade class that knows how to use the technology available to them. They have more knowledge of how to make a good podcast than I do. Although I really enjoyed learning how to make one this week. I love how you use pictures for each part of your post. It makes your post very fun to read and flow very well from one subject to the next!

    ReplyDelete