Thursday, September 22, 2011

Blog Post #3



It's not about the Technology by Kelly Hines

Teachers must be learners. As a professional in any career one must keep an open mind and be willing to learn new things. This is especially important in the profession teaching because teachers are teaching students how to learn and what to learn. They must be able to learn themselves in order for the process to work. One may ask "What is it that the teacher must learn?" Well teachers must learn to use new technology and use it in their lessons. Kelly Hines pointed out many advantages in learning to use new technology and applying it inside the classroom. Some core outcomes of the students are creativity and innovation, critical thinking and problem solving, communication and collaboration and many other positive outcomes.
I look forward to learning how to help my students and help myself by being more aware of the technology used   daily. I will keep an open mind and and try to learn as much as I can so that I will be an effective teacher. I find it easy to say no to things that are new or not traditional because it is habit and what I am use to. However, when it comes to being able to help the students receive the best education possible and preparing them for life outside of the classroom I can not say no but ask "what else?" All future teachers and present teachers should have this attitude as the world is changing and our students becoming the future. We must prepare them for it.

Karl Fisch: Is it Okay to be a Technologically Illiterate Teacher?

In today's generation it is not okay to be a technologically illiterate teacher. As Karl Fisch said "In order to teach, it we have to do it." Teachers can not think it is okay to stop learning. The profession is education which goes along with learning. One must continue to learn and not be so afraid of failing. I believe people who refuse to try out new things are unwilling to learn something new are afraid they will not get it. One has to get over that fear and go for it. Practice makes perfect. As a student I can be the first to admit that I am not extremely excited about learning new things. I feel this way simply because I already have a very full uncompromising schedule. When it is brought to my attention that I have to learn something new I cringe lol. How ever I am learning to get out of this mindset and just do what I have to do to be as successful as I possibly can.
Teachers must stay caught up with what is going on around them and what is new. Technology is constantly changing and is changing how we live. We can not continue to say "I am not good with computers", but get good at using them. Computers and technology itself is just as important as money. An individual as a child is not good at counting money but as they get older and deal with it daily one learns how to count it and how to use it.  One does not just say "I can't count money" and expect to buy things or pay bills. Teachers and any one in any profession must be open minded and willing to learn how to use computers. We must utilize the technology today because tomorrow there will be something else out and we will have to learn how to use that also.

 Gary Hayes Social Media Count

The social media counts are astounding. These drastic numbers mean that as a future teacher I must know what I am doing when it comes to technology inside my classroom. It means that most the students inside my class will have access to all of this technology. I must be caught up and able to utilize the things they will be professionals at using. It is exciting to see how the world is changing and how it is growing.
People are using these sites all the time. More sites are being added or updated by the second. Everything is related to or revolves around technology. As a person whether in teaching, another profession, or just living period, one must learn about technology and be willing to learn. One can barely breathe with out it. No excuses can be made, we just have to do it!

 Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today

Awesome! I loved this video because it tells me I am not the only one that feels this way. I would love for classes to be more hands on and less book work. Utilizing technology and the outdoors would help me as a student. From the teacher perspective I will do my best to create more projects and things that get the information needed across to the student. I will also get with other teachers in my field and incorporate ideas of what we feel is the best way to teach our students besides just using power point.
It is important we begin to look at what is not working and what will. Our future depends on 'us' to find out. Waiting for a survey to be done is not enough. We already know what did  not work for the majority of people so we need to figure out now what will work and how we change it. Right now the next couple graduating classes make up the future presidents and administrators. Together we must do our best to incorporate new policies into how the curriculum is taught in public school systems today.

No comments:

Post a Comment